Milnthorpe is probably not the first place to go to when visiting the South Lakes.
It is only seven miles south of Kendal and Milnthorpe.
However, It has a lot to offer as this ancient market town has history, old limestone buildings and narrow lanes.
The Market Square is bordered on three sides by pretty cottages and shops.
Additionally, the fourth side opens out onto green lawns and trees leading up to the 19th-century church of St Thomas.
The Market Cross dates back to the 17th Century and in times past used as a whipping post and a stocks for criminals!
The town has always been stop-off point on the A6 for vehicles on their way to the Lake District. The Cross Keys Hotel was once a main stagecoach inn.
A little known fact is the traffic lights on the junction had the first traffic lights in Westmorland in 1938.
Additionally, just out of the town up on St Anthony’s Hill is a round grey tower believed to be an early 19th century folly.
In World War II it came into good use as an observation post manned by the Home Guard.
We invite you to stay at Lothlorien
Check our availability
Relax and unwind. Check out our availability and book online today.