Kendal Castle

Kendal Castle

Kendal’s first castle (a wooden structure) was erected at Castle Howe but was later replaced by this stone-built Kendal Castle on the opposite side of the river where the ruin still stands today. This 13th century castle stands high above the town built on a drumlin or glacial hill. For over 200 years this castle was the seat of power for the barons of Kendal. On the death of the last baron in 1571, William Parr, the castle fell into its current ruinous state.

Close Menu