Furness Abbey near Barrow in Furness was once one of the richest Cistercian monasteries in England, exceeded only by Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire. The soaring ruins of red sandstone soak up the grandeur of this 900 year old site.
Located in a peaceful valley, the majestic remains of Furness Abbey once housed the flourishing community of a wealthy order. Many of the buildings are still standing which made up the Abbey, including the Outer Court, the Church with its North and South Transept and Tower, the Cloister Court, Chapter House, the dormitory, infirmary and kitchen.
The Abbey was founded by Count (later King) Stephen of Boulogne c.1125, but much of the structure is the later Cistercian, as opposed to the original Savignac.
The Abbey developed a harbour on Walney Island to promote its trade in wool and iron, and built a castle at Piel for protection.
Furness Abbey is 40 minutes away from Lothlorien by car.